Monday, July 21, 2008

The Compassionate Conservative

Or: why I hate republicans, version I.

Self-appointed "Compassionate-Conservative" radio host Michael savage grabbed my eye with this piece of wisdom as reported in Media Matters:

I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot.' "

It's evident that Savage has no fucking idea what autism is, has probably never been in contact with an autistic kid and, if he met one, would probably think this kid was faking it. This is brought to you from the man that decided that asthma was a money-making scam by minority families:

"[W]hy was there an asthma epidemic amongst minority children? Because I'll tell you why: The children got extra welfare if they were disabled, and they got extra help in school. It was a money racket. Everyone went in and was told [fake cough], 'When the nurse looks at you, you go [fake cough], "I don't know, the dust got me." ' See, everyone had asthma from the minority community."

If that's compassionate, I don't want to know what rates as hard core conservative.

No comments: